First Week Thoughts and How to Prepare for Tech Elevator!

Hello World!

Celebrate and rejoice because I have survived my first week of Tech Elevator! It was tough, but not as tough as I'd expected, which makes me fear for the next few weeks because of the vast room left to get harder.

So far my assessment is that they do a great job of building RAPIDLY on what you learned each day, and then forcing you to apply it. They give an exercise every day, and I definitely have leftover homework almost every night. They like to have you do the same thing multiple times, which is tedious, but I think important. (Perfect) practice makes perfect, after all.

I can definitely see that some of my classmates are struggling to catch up a little more than I am. But I think as long as they're determined anyone could get from zero to hero.


If you're thinking of diving into Tech Elevator, and so far I'd recommend it, I definitely have a few getting ready for Tech Elevator tips:

  1. The email they send with some suggestions for pre-pre-work about a week after you're accepted? Do them.
  2. Find you learn best when you're solving a challenge? Code Wars.
  3. Like to watch videos? Edx.org's CS50 Intro to Computer Science course.
  4. Like clicking through lessons that have you code along? My classmate recommends Codecademy (pre-warning: she notes that it is $20/month, but she says it's worth it.)
  5. DO THE PRE-WORK.
  6. DO THE PRE-WORK.
  7. DON'T JUST PRETEND. ACTUALLY DO THE PRE-WORK.
But any self-study or project you do to prepare for Tech Elevator can't hurt. And when getting ready for and going through Tech Elevator, just remember to apply some stick-to-a-tivity!


Happy Coding!

Miranda



Comments

Popular Posts